Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dalia (wheat porridge)

I hated it when my mom made me eat this for breakfast while growing up. But now I kind of like it. P.S. no one ever tells mom about that.

The basic dalia is simple. 

Ingredients: 

1) Cracked Wheat - 1/2 cup
2) Split  Moong dal - 1/2 cup (It is a a lentil green in color) 
3) Brown rice - 1/4 cup or less
4) A pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
5) Salt to taste.
6) Water - 4 cups (you might want more or less depending on consistency that you prefer) I generally add more.

Add all the ingredients in pressure cooker and cook according to pressure cookers instructions. 
I use 

15 mins and done. It comes out like oat meal.

You can eat it directly like this for breakfast or lunch. 

Me being me .. don't like such bland food. So, I generally eat it with soups (sambhar, a lentil based soup or kadhi, a yoghurt based soup. I will add them to the blog as well). 

If I don't have time for making soups then I just season the porridge well enough. I have listed one of the seasoning here: 


There are tonnes of other ways to season it. My mom adds vegetables like tomato, peas etc while preparing the seasoning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment